Eyesign - Racing Homer Pigeon
Eyesign is an intresting topic discussed around the racing pigeon fanciers. It has been the interest of many racing pigeon fanciers for years.
There are several factors for racing pigeons which relies to find their way home. Majorly, the sun, stars, earths magnetic field, sound and smell. This is why few pigeons fly better on certain days than other pigeons.
If one believes that the racing pigeon uses the sun and earths magnetic field to come home, then eyesign is going to be a big factor in choosing racing homer pigeon champions. The eyesign of the pigeon is the mirror to its ability, health and racing factor. In pigeons it is important for them to have a good strong healthy eye and a good strong textured iris. The pupil must be quick to move and move freely to spot danger and retain a more constant speed. The iris should be textured and richly colored. The Outer ring or the permeter should be the same color as the eye sign ring.
The iris should be rich in color regardless of the color itself and have plenty of good pigmentation. The mountains and valley effect in my terms. The eye Sign ring (circle of adaption) is best in breeders when it is thick and well pronounced. This ring is sometimes so thick the bird appears to have a large pupil. This ring can be of any color from yellow, green, grey , blue, white, or black. Color is of little importance as long as it is thick.
The pupil should be very active and not to large when in sunlight. The pupil should be largest only in darkness or shade. Some like the pupil to tilt or look forward as if the bird is watching you.
Eye sign - WHAT TO LOOK FOR
1. THE PUPIL: SMALL & ROUND AS POSSIBLE.
2. CIRCLE OF ADAPTATION: WILL APPEAR BLACK OR GREENISH/BLACK. THERE ARE MANY VARIATIONS IN THE SIZE & SHAPE OF THE C/A WITH NAMES FOR EACH, SUCH AS BOTTLE CAP, ROPED, STARED OR SPIKY. THE SIZE CAN VARY FROM VERY NARROW TO EXTREMELY WIDE. THE WIDER BEING BETTER IN ALL CASES.
3. THE CIRCLE OF CORRELATION: COMES IN MANY COLORS. THESE ARE YELLOW, GREEN, BLACK, BLUE, GREY, WHITE OR VIOLET. ALL COLORS WIN RACES. YELLOW OR YELLOW/GREEN IS THE OVERALL TENACIOUS EYE COLOR. THE WHITE IS THE "TRUE DOMINANT VIOLET", THE # 1 BREEDER EYE IN ALL PAIRS.
4. THE IRIS: WILL BE FILLED WITH LIFE AND COLOR IN CHAMPIONS, EXCEPT A FEW STRAINS WHICH ORIGINATED FROM THE JANSSENS. THEY WILL NOT SHOW YOU A FULL AND RICH IRIS. MOST EXCEPTIONAL BIRDS OTHER THAN THESE WILL HAVE FULL COLORED IRIS'S WITH DEEP VALLEYS AND HIGH MOUNTAINS SHOWING. THIS WITH THE GOOD QUALITIES OF THE OTHER CIRCLES WILL GIVE YOU THE GLORIOUS LOOK OF A BIRD WITH 3/D WHICH IS WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR TO CONTINUE OUR FAMILY OF RACERS.
5. OUTER CIRCLE: THE 5TH CIRCLE OR HEALTH RING IS ONE AND THE SAME. THIS CIRCLE PROVIDES THE BLOOD SUPPLY FOR NOURISHING THE EYE AND SHOWS YOU THAT THE BIRD IS HEALTHY AND ABLE TO FLY HIS 12 TO 14 HOURS WITHOUT GREAT FATIGUE. IT ALSO CAN BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE EYEBALL ITSELF TO DETECT A FAMILY OF INBRED BIRDS BY THE LIGHT COLOR OF THE EYEBALL.